Auditions and Scholarships
Join our Family at Southeastern
Whether you plan to major in music or develop your artistic interests and abilities while majoring in another field, the Southeastern's Department of Music and Performing Arts has something to offer you. The department offers undergraduate degrees in Music Education, Music Performance, Jazz Studies, a minor in music, graduate degrees in Music Performance, Music Theory, Choral Conducting, Instrumental Conducting, and performance opportunities for all Southeastern Students.
All Southeastern students (music majors and non-music majors) are elegible for talent-based performance scholarships. If you are interested please fill out an online Audition and Scholarship Applicaiton
Senior Shadow Day
There are many ways for prospective students to figure out if Southeastern Louisiana University's Music program is the right fit for you. If you are interested in being a music major, consider coming to Southeastern for a "Shadow Day". Prospective Music students have the ability to sit in on our classes, participate in rehearsals and attend recitals or concerts.. Through our Shadow Day program, the prospective student will follow a current student and get a taste for the average day in the life of a Music Major at Southeastern. There are plenty of classes they can attend, and can be focused depending on the major that they are interested in. They can take a tour of our facilities, meet our faculty, participate in rehearsals and see what is involved in being a Music Major. If you are interested and are a woodwind, brass or percussion student, email Dr. Robert Schwartz (email@example.com) to set one up. We look forward to meeting you!
Auditions still accepted after the deadlines!
January 15: Southeastern Priority Application Deadline for Academic Scholarships
May 1: Enrollment decision deadline
NOTE: It is better to audition sooner as scholarship money does run out every year.
Auditions are traditionally held in person either at one of our auditions or on a different day at your convenience.
Saturday, January 28
Saturday, March 11
Saturday, March 25
Saturday, April 22
How to Apply:
Step 1: Apply to Southeastern
Apply to the University first:
Step 2: Set up an Audition to the Southeastern Department of Music
Once you have submitted your application to Southeastern you will need to fill out an application for the Music Department. Once you have filled out the Music Department application one of our faculty members will be in touch with you to set up the audition. This is your application for audition, admission, and music scholarships.
Undergraduate Audition Requirements
- Band (Woodwind & Brass): Two solo movements or etudes of moderate difficulty and contrasting styles (Not Ensemble Music)
- Jazz Studies
- Piano: Perform 2-3 contrasting pieces, scales, and sight reading
- Strings: Perform approximately 20 minutes of music that includes 2 contrasting pieces or movements
- Voice: Perform two contrasting songs from memory. A pianist is provided at the audition.
- The audition day will include a 15 minute audition and interview. Potential students and their parents will be given the opportunity to ask our faculty questions at the end of the playing portion of the audition. There are also various events that will take place during the audition day including campus tours, scholarship presentation, etc.
- Typical Audition Day Schedule
- The Southeastern Music application also serves as your music scholarship application.
Other campus offices which you might need to contact: