TOPS Scholarship Information
Taylor Opportunity Program for Students (TOPS)
Louisiana's Taylor Opportunity Program for Students (TOPS) is a comprehensive program of state scholarships and one of the most innovative and progressive student assistance programs in the nation. TOPS has four award components. Learn more information on eligibility and renewal requirements.
How to Apply
- Complete the FAFSA by July 1 each year.
- Receive an official TOPS award letter, via email, from the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance (LOSFA). Students can expect to receive the notification towards the end of June, or beginning of July. This notification will provides the student with the TOPS level.
Award Amount and Requirements
|Award||ACT||GPA||Fall Award||Spring Award|
|TOPS Honors Award||27||3.0||$3226.11||$3226.10|
|TOPS Performance Award||23||3.0||$3026.11||$3026.10|
|TOPS Opportunity Award||20||2.5||$2826.11||$2826.10|
|TOPS Tech Award (Industrial Technology AAS)||17||2.5||$1190.00||$1190.00|
Students must meet the following requirements each semester to receive payment for TOPS:
- Be enrolled full-time on the 15th day of class each semester.
- Earn 24 credit hours each year: Fall, Spring, Summer, Intersessions, and Terms.
- Maintain the Minimum GPA Requirements by Earned Credit Hours:
- Below 24 hours earned - 2.00 GPA
- 24-47 hours earned - 2.30 GPA
- 48 or above hours earned - 2.50 GPA
- Performance and Honors Recipients - 3.00 GPA
- Maintain continuous enrollment through consecutive fall and spring semesters.
- Maintain the required GPA for specific TOPS award.
- Maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA at the end of each Fall semester, to receive
the Spring award amount.
Things to Consider
- Students must become familiar with the TOPS Award Recipients Rights and Responsibilities.
- TOPS can only be used within one year of high school graduation.
- Remaining semesters of TOPS eligibility can be used for graduate school if used within one year.
- If a student loses TOPS eligibility, he/she can apply to have the circumstances considered. Exception Forms should be sent directly to LOSFA.
- For any questions regarding initial eligibility, award retention, or loss of eligibility, students can contact LOSFA at 1-800-259-5626 or email at email@example.com.